Thursday, November 19, 2015

Getting Ready

My dear friend and co-teacher in the Godly Play after-school clubs, Melinda, recently told me a story about a recent visit to another church. At the end of the regular service, the pastor quickly transitioned things into a communion service without giving her much time to switch gears and get ready for it. As a result, she felt a bit rushed and jolted. I laughed and said, "It's Godly Play! We've spent the last 6 years teaching children to 'get ready', so they can fully experience what God has for them. It's in your blood now!"

Next week, she and I will begin "getting ready" to experience the mystery of Christmas with a group of 14 children at Advent Club. And this week, we've been getting us and everything else ready for the after-school club to begin. : )

I don't think I'll ever get tired of accompanying children on their Advent journey. I need to see things through their eyes and hear with their ears as much as they need to see and hear what I have to show them. Hand-in-hand we come closer to the mystery of the living God being born into our world as baby. 

With the backdrop of the recent events in Paris and the many homeless families from Syria seeking refuge in our city, we need more than ever to come close to this mystery and be saturated with hope and love. 

May your Advent wherever you are be blessed! 





No comments:

Post a Comment