Wednesday, March 5, 2014

We're not Catholic, but . . . .

We're not Catholic, but each year on Ash Wednesday, our family walks up the hill and around the corner to the Catholic church in our neighborhood to attend their afternoon worship service for schoolchildren. Since becoming a spiritual mentor for children, I have come to realize how important rituals and symbols are to them. Having a cross drawn with ash on their foreheads signals to my children that a special time of year has begun. A time that has a very serious side to it, but one that potentially ends with great joy. 


Blessings on your Lenten journey, however you choose to begin it!

2 comments:

  1. I think the symbol of ashes on the forehead is very deep and significant to adults and children -- regardless of one's faith. I know some Roman Catholics who don't pray or attend Mass regularly, yet won't miss Ash Wednesday services. I guess that's the Holy Spirit working inside all of us, calling us to draw closer to God. Wishing you and your family a fruitful Lent, Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Cheryl! A wonderful Lenten journey for you and your family as well!

      Delete