Saturday, December 7, 2013

Godly Play: Circle of the Church Year

The Circle of the Church Year is a story from the liturgical genre in Godly Play that explains and explores the "seasons" of the church year and how they correspond to the natural seasons. The story also introduces the idea of time being circular as opposed to linear. The children see this when the last "green and growing Sunday" meets Advent in the circle. The end of the year becomes a new beginning. 

The materials for this story are some of the hardest to make yourself. The original material is the wooden puzzle that you see below. You have to be quite a carpenter to get the wooden pieces the same, uniform size. In fact, our German Godly Play training literature recommends that if you are going to invest money into material for a particular story, this would be the one. 

Although I have a large felt calendar that hangs on the wall when we have children's church, I finally broke down and shelled out 70 Euros for the wooden one made by the Lindenwerkstatt. Besides wanting one for the kids I mentor, since becoming a Godly Play Trainer, I have needed one to take to trainings. 



But of course, it is not always possible to come up with that kind of money (and was not possible for me for a long time!). So, I get very excited when I see others coming up with creative DIY ideas. 

Marcy, from Becoming Three, came up with the absolutely brilliant idea of making the Church Year out of Legos. When I saw the picture below on her blog, I immediately asked if I could share it with you. I hope that it helps and inspires many of you making your own materials. Where there is a will, there is a way . . . 




Also, Emily at Watkins Every Flavor Beans shared a felt Church Year made by one of her friends that you can see here. If you are able to sew, this is also a good alternative.

If you know of any other creative ways to make the material for this story, please let me know and leave a link in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment