Wednesday, June 12, 2013

On-Line Montessori Course from Karen Tyler

I've received a few e-mails in response to my last post wanting more information about Karen Tyler's on-line Montessori course and my experience with it. So I thought I would share my responses with all of you.

In true Montessori fashion, the course is really what you make of it. Looking at her website, it appears that Karen has re-vamped and changed a few things, but when I was in it there was a weekly syllabus that consisted of readings about the Montessori Method (all on-line books) and downloadable albums. As I've browsed her new website, it seems that she has added things like optional quizzes and written assignments as well as Forum Boards.

The plusses: 
- You learn a lot about basic Montessori principles that can be applied across the board with all ages

- You can go at your own pace.
- You have 12 different albums at the end of the course that would cost you A LOT of money if you ordered them directly from a Montessori company.
- The price is incredibly reasonable.
- Karen is great communicator and promptly answers all e-mails and questions.
- There are no mandatory papers to turn it.


The minuses:
- The readings in the albums can get tedious after a while.
- My particular group didn't do much on-line discussion.
- Specifically for Godly Play, you probably only need the Practical Life album.
- It is aimed mainly at work with preschool children.


All in all, I am very glad that I did it. Since I didn't have the time or money to attend a Montessori college, this was an unbelievably good option! I highly recommend it if you are self-disciplined enough to follow through with the readings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment