Saturday, June 23, 2012

Some further wondering . . .

One of the things you learn and experience through Godly Play is that children are not a "problem" in your church to be solved, but rather co-learners and even co-teachers. Before I started doing Godly Play, I was always worried about getting burn-out as a children's worker. But in Godly Play, the adult "teacher" is really a facilitator and co-learner with the children. The Holy Spirit has plenty of room to be the teacher and this is achieved, because everyone in the room learns from and teaches one other, even the children who don't utter a verbal word.


In my last post, I wrote about sharing the Parable of the Mustard Seed in our church service in the forest. I wanted to go into more detail about what I learned through wondering with the kids and preparing the lesson. The question, "I wonder what did the person did while the tree was growing?" stayed with me before and after the story. With the kids, we talked about how the person probably took care of the tree, but then went about his/her other daily activities. What I realized afterwards was that no mentioned that the person might be nervous or worried over whether the tree would grow or not. No one said that the sower was angry at the tree for not growing fast enough. The sower was faithful to do his/her part and the tree just grew.


I, on the other hand, often get nervous, worried or angry if the things that God has planted in my life don't grow fast enough or don't appear to be growing at all. I waste emotional energy instead of letting the ways of God take their course. Sure, I have a role to play and have to be faithful to do my part just like the sower, but God is the one who makes things grow. My fretting and getting frustrated - though normal human reactions - do not help the situation or make things grow faster. 


This wondering and considering helps me to let go of some things that I need to let go of and determine to joyfully accept the process of growth. 


Such is the kingdom of God.




No comments:

Post a Comment